Customer satisfaction is a very important value for Mtech. This is the reason why we regularly ask our customers how satisfied they are. When we look the results of the customer satisfaction survey, we try to find things that we could do even better.
In 2020, all our Global Solutions customers were satisfied with us in general. A very high share – 82 per cent of the respondents are absolutely or very satisfied. Wow!
“These great results of the customer satisfaction survey tell us that the way we work fulfils its purpose. In fact, we do not have customers but partners. We have common objectives with them, and we work together to achieve those objectives,” says Minna Veljo, Director of Customer Solutions Global.
Out of all respondents, 94 per cent are absolutely or very satisfied with their contact person in Mtech. The remaining 6 per cent are satisfied. The respondents are especially satisfied with the commitment to service and the expertise of the contact persons.
Every respondent is very satisfied with the features of the service or software delivered in relation to his or her expectations concerning the delivery and implementation of software projects.
At the same time, 86 per cent of the respondents are absolutely or very satisfied with the ease of use of the software delivered by Mtech. The remaining 13 per cent are satisfied. These are the highlights when we look at the results of the customer satisfaction survey. Nobody is dissatisfied or less satisfied.
All the respondents completely agree or agree in part with the statement “I have a positive overall impression of Mtech”. They think that Mtech is an honest, modern and credible company.